Forums  ›  Cheetah  ›  Support

invite only

Modzzz has a full-blown module which I used for a while and it worked fine. It will need to be converted to Cheetah. I'll try it in a day or so and let you know whether it works okay:

https://www.boonex.com/m/site-invitations

I didn't know that Modzzz had an invitation module; basically the same what I implemented.  Modzzz has indicated he would add his modules to the market if Cheetah gains traction.  Currently he is adding modules to UNA.  However, Andrew has thrown a spanner in the works; he is blocking modules if a similar function is in UNA or a similar module is already on the UNA Market.  Modzzz has a much better credits module than the one in UNA but Andrew won't let him add his credit module to the UNA market because UNA has a credits module built-in.

Modzzz has a full-blown module which I used for a while and it worked fine. It will need to be converted to Cheetah. I'll try it in a day or so and let you know whether it works okay:

https://www.boonex.com/m/site-invitations

I just need to find the time to get the old code and work on it again.  Plus, the old was a hack; it should be a proper drop in module.

Thanks again all. This actually works pretty well, and the static invite has an interesting use. The club I am setting this up for can have preprinted cards with the invite on it. So they can hand out a physical invitation.  @Geek_Girl your solution seems better over time once this gets going.

I made a change in the Invite code for a site so that an invitation code was sent in the email; it could only be used once and it had an expiration date.  The person could not join unless they entered the code and the code was still valid.  I might offer this as a module when the market gets going.

Go ahead. The market should be ready, but it would not hurt to actually put a couple of real products in there to test things. It's got to be properly tested at some point.

Thanks, all. This was very helpful! The module that Geek_girl described sounds great. Please do make it available when you can. 

@Geek_Girl, I think your comment is the same criticism Modzzz made about the  routine when promoting his module. He states that the code used is universal and once it's known to the public everyone can use it. I've never used this feature and don't plan to. I only got involved to help Steve. 

I made a change in the Invite code for a site so that an invitation code was sent in the email; it could only be used once and it had an expiration date.  The person could not join unless they entered the code and the code was still valid.  I might offer this as a module when the market gets going.

Thanks Deano. I was running B3. I installed the latest version from the download site and it works fine.

@Steve, you may need to do the same.

Before reinstalling i would do 2 things.

1) Replace join.php with a fresh copy from the repo or the current download zip file. The invite checking is done in that file.

2) Make sure reg_by_inv_only exists in the sys_options table. If you did any database importing or messing with the database, that could be a issue.

If those 2 things check out, then it should be working.

BTW. If cron is running or not has no affect on the invite feature.

I'm not sure why it doesn't work on my site. It could be I'm running an old Beta, or I don't have cron working. I'll reinstall and try again.

Testing passed on this site and my test dev install. Worked as expected, normal joins were blocked. 

Ok thanks. I will look into the problem.

I did some more testing on my Dolphin site and it seems to work as predicted except for a stupid email that the person received. Firstly I set the site for people to register by invitation only.

1. I clicked Invite a friend at the bottom of any page.

2. They received a wacky email: "Hey Check This Out!"  with a link.

3. I clicked the link and it took me to the Join Page. No messages, just the standard form.

4. I joined.

Note: Once the setting is made on the Dolphin Site, all people are blocked unless they're invited. If you don't set the site for Registration by Invitation Only, the Invite a friend works exactly the same and you have the best of both worlds.

CONCLUSION: There may be a bug in Cheetah or I've done something on my site to make it work.

I'm having a bit of a problem with this. When I set the Advanced Settings/Profile Settings to "Enable Registration by Invitation Only" I'm still able to join as Geek_Girl states.

BUT That's not the case on my Dolphin site. As soon as I change the setting, I immediately get a message stating "Registration is by Invitation only! (See Image.)

Maybe I have another setting ticked somewhere but I don't think so..

invite.jpg11.1K1 views

Invite only means that someone has to send an invitation to the person they want to join.  The join process is the same.  You can couple this with having to approve the person in the backend and also confirmation emails to help prevent spammers.

Ok folks, do you use the invite only? And with it on how is a profile made?

Forums  ›  Cheetah  ›  Support