Forums  ›  Cheetah  ›  Support

Private Folders

I've made the changes and everything is working fine.

Thanks.

I just need Deano's input to see if I won't be breaking anything.

That should be fine. I don't see it causing any problems.

I think I've resolved this and rather painlessly to boot. Having said that it would be time consuming on a large site. I just need Deano's input to see if I won't be breaking anything.

This is something that SHOULD be done before a clean install, but I'll show you how I did it on a site with 10 members. The more members you have, the harder it gets.

The first part removes "Private" From all albums created by new members. Earlier members will still have a Private album.

-------------------

Go to includes/classes/ChWsbAlbums.php

Remove or isolate the bit in the red box. I've used /*   */

Save and test. Caches may need to be cleared.

The second part must be done to remove Private from all existing albums. It's painful and repetitive.

I only have Photos and Videos installed, but you need to do this part with every module that gives members "album" options. That would be

"Files" and possibly others.

1. Go to Members or People on the main menu.
  2. Click a member to get to their profile.
  3. "Log on as"  in the Actions box.
  4. Click Photos, Videos, Files or whatever on the main menu.
  5. Click the Albums Icon on the right of the sub-menu
  6. Click where it says "You have xxxx albums."
  7. When the albums appear, delete the private album.
  8. Return to the profile.
  9. Make sure you Return to admin at the top left of the profile.

NOTE: All photos, Videos and Files will be deleted. Notify your members first and ask them to remove the contents if they don't wish to loose it.

Agreed. Those should be optional for admins as well. I personally don't like them either.

I've added a Tutorial to remove the keys in case someone wants to do it before the option is added in an upcoming release:

https://www.cheetahwsb.com/m/tutorials/view/Remove-Yellow-Keys-in-Profile-Blocks

This procedure removes all keys. 

is the little yellow keys on a person's profile. The way the script is set up from the Dolphin days, a member can actually have a blank profile as a result of those keys.

Agreed. Those should be optional for admins as well. I personally don't like them either.

Oh snap, did not see the part of u mentioning that it will be up to admin. Using my cell & I guess I flew right by ur comment Deano. Thanks 4 making it an option, but seriously if a user has a blank page by using those keys, they are up to no good. 😁

I have some users that like that feature who love it cause they can hide the 3rd party music player and enjoy choosing their songs to auto player and don't like members to view their choices. It should be an option for admin to decide whether it should be enabled or not. If a user plans to use that key so that only him/her can only be the ones to view their page, they should not be on any social platform and seek medical treatment. Please make that and option for the admin to decide.

is the little yellow keys on a person's profile. The way the script is set up from the Dolphin days, a member can actually have a blank profile as a result of those keys.

Another thing you may consider while you look into the admin setting for privacy, is the little yellow keys on a person's profile. The way the script is set up from the Dolphin days, a member can actually have a blank profile as a result of those keys.

This is like FB where I receive 10 - 20 friend requests a day, but when I look at the person's profile it's blank. It seems I have to become a friend before the profile is activated as is the case with one of the yellow key options. Why on earth would anyone want to be a friend with a person who has a blank profile? Surely people should get to know each other before becoming friends?  On a social networking site you learn about people by reading their profile and their posts, unless the posts are marked friends only.

I'm a firm believer that Admins need to be in control of the service they provide. If an admin wants something switched off they should be able to do it. Things are getting better in that respect, but it's still easy for a manipulative user to fiddle and block some aspects from other users as a whole. Under normal circumstances, the Friends Only option is suitable in most instances because it acts as a filter. It doesn't block every member. 

Please don't remove it.

I am not going to remove it. I am going to provide a settings option so admins can decide if they want it on their site or not.

😀

Please don't remove it.

I am not going to remove it. I am going to provide a settings option so admins can decide if they want it on their site or not.

The privacy option is good for relatives that want to share one account. It can be used for a parent and their children/children's that " for example" college. I think it's a great option to have. I have many users that use that option for their love ones. If a user is going to post nude or other inappropriate content to just go back and look at pics that only he/she can see, then they need to seek professional help. Another way of using that "only me or private" feature is if a user uses that option for a business and when performing a presentation, they can easily show that album to clients and not have others on the site viewing that specific album.

I am unaware of a easy way. Due to private albums being one of the defaults, there is bound to be a bunch of code i will have to find to deal with that. May take me a while to sort it all out.

That also actually sounds like a good feature addition for admins. A option for allowing private albums or not.

Please leave that option there. It's good if 2 people share same account. Let users make that decision on how they choose the privacy settings. I think it's great for a couple or relatives that reside far from eachother and decide to share one account. Please don't remove it.

I don't have a problem with any of that. My problem is that 50 of the 70 photos on my new site consisting of 10 members are in a Private folder. When I contacted the people involved, they said that they don't want all members seeing the photos. I have asked them over and over again to make them "Friends Only" and choose friends carefully, but that's like asking people to fill out a taxation return. Maybe they'll listen when Private and Me Only options don't exist.

Hmm. I remember the friends only, but not the private. But i must have seen it as a suggestion somewhere.

Anyhow i'll still make it a option. However keep in mind that by toggling off the use of private albums, it will also need to disable the ability to set album view to "Me Only" because a member can create any number of private albums by simply setting the visibility to "Me Only"

Also when togging that option off, if any photos exist in private albums, they will have to be deleted, Making those photos public without the users permission would be a bad idea, so removal is the only option in this case.

I just took a peek at an old Dophin site and Private isn't an option in the Photos module. It looks like it could be something you created when we were discussing people making a new folder for every photo. If I recall, and possibly at my request as well as others, you introduced a Friends Only Folder, but the private folder appeared as well.

Judging by past discussion on the Dophin forum, a lot of people want this level, but it would seem for a variety of different reasons. Thus your suggestion to place it in the Admin section is a good one.

In the meantime, I'd just like to make it "invisible". I have no problem with the option being there just as long as my members can't access it.

I am unaware of a easy way. Due to private albums being one of the defaults, there is bound to be a bunch of code i will have to find to deal with that. May take me a while to sort it all out.

That also actually sounds like a good feature addition for admins. A option for allowing private albums or not.

I've never been able to figure out why any social networking site would offer "Private" galleries or folders for their members to store stuff in. If they're not prepared to share something with somebody, it shouldn't be on the site! - My opinion.

I'm already getting members uploading all their weird stuff into Photos Private Gallery,  possibly to hide it from their partner. As far as I'm concerned, they can use a private partition like Lockbox on their computer or phone to do that.

I've removed "Private" and a couple of other unwanted gallery options in the past, but it got very messy. Is there an easy way to do this and can you share it with us.

Ideally I'd love to see all private storage options removed, but photos and Videos would be a good start.

Forums  ›  Cheetah  ›  Support