Forums  ›  Cheetah  ›  Bug Reports

Possible Privacy Bug

With your permission, I'll add it to the Tutorials

Sure. Go for it.

With your permission, I'll add it to the Tutorials in case someone else wants to make the mod. In all fairness, I think that is all that needs to be done. As it's not something everyone will want to do, it probably wouldn't pay to make it a Cheetah option.

Yes, good idea.  

Oops! I'm not sure what happened here, but I posted a "Thanks Deano!" message here yesterday and it's gone. Maybe I never pressed the Submit button?

Thanks again Deano. The snippet worked perfectly and it also allowed me to remove the Service Menu box on the other side containing Join/Login. I have those items elsewhere and the Service menu box would have been confusing to potential members.

With your permission, I'll add it to the Tutorials in case someone else wants to make the mod. In all fairness, I think that is all that needs to be done. As it's not something everyone will want to do, it probably wouldn't pay to make it a Cheetah option.

It certainly got me off the hook and I appreciate your support.

Until i can build something into cheetah to control the visibility of the search box, you can do a simple source modification that will hide it from non-members.

Open inc\classes\ChWsbTemplate.php

Look for this at about line 807

case 'main_search':
                $sRet = $GLOBALS['oFunctions']->genSiteSearch();
                break;

Replace it with this.

case 'main_search':
              if(!isMember()) {
                $sRet='<div style="width: 181px;"></div>';
              } else {
                $sRet = $GLOBALS['oFunctions']->genSiteSearch();
              }  
                break;

Okay, I installed the Page Access Control module and did a bit of research on the Dolphin Forum.

I added the following rules, excluded non members and clicked "Advanced Expression"

/*/search

search.php

I'm not sure which one did it, but the search box on the public home page is now defunct. If they try to use it, the user gets a message saying that they don't have permission to access the site.

I've tried removing the box but it's tied in with the box on the member's home page and I do realise that some public sites need it there in both places. Ideally, an option to remove it from the public page would be handy.

Thanks Geek_Girl.

Thanks Geek_Girl. I looked at that section once and it seemed a bit daunting. I'll take another peek.

If anyone want's to see what I'm talking about, log out of this site and enter Cairns in the search box. 

One thing I haven't done yet is set all the blocks in pages I haven't touched yet to Members Only.

Don't forget about the Page Access Control Module; you can hide all pages to non members; this should hide the pages even if the individual blocks on the page are still allowing guest view.

I've since managed to hide the members profile photo icons, but people can still see their names. I failed to set all the member's albums from Public to Members on an individual basis, but in all fairness, I don't think any member would get around to altering that setting.

In a future release, it may be best if all Privacy settings throughout the site were Members Only by default.

Being able to remove the Search Box on the Public Home Page, would help a lot.

What confuses me is that "all" the Privacy Settings in Admin are set to Members Only, as are "all" the profiles. I was hoping that these settings were a blanket statement re privacy. 

One thing I haven't done yet is set all the blocks in pages I haven't touched yet to Members Only.

What a job!

This doesn't apply to anyone creating a public viewing site, but it should be  reason for concern if you're running a Member's Only site.

I've been trough the millions of options and I've done everything I know of to set my site up as a Member's Only site. However, on the Home Page that Guests and Members see before they log on, there's a search box on the top left. This is yet another Dolphin quirk, and why would you have a search box on the public (Splash) page of a "Member's Only" site?

Despite my ticking every imaginable box for Member's Only, any member of the public can still enter a City in that box and see the thumbnail and name of every member in that city. It really doesn't matter what words they use, most will give some kind of result.

The Home Page Search Box needs to be under the control of Admins so that it can be set for Guests and Members or Members only. Maybe this function already exists, but I'm dammed if I can find it.

There may be other Privacy Issues, but I haven't found any yet.

Forums  ›  Cheetah  ›  Bug Reports