Forums  ›  Cheetah  ›  Bug Reports

Comment width

Thanks Willmonte. The time permitted should be short and controlled by a variety of factors. Editing a post should be prohibited after a single member has read it, but it should be available for deletion until it's been commented on, or quoted. That's pretty much standard procedure on every forum.

Facebook is notorious for abusing this rule and this is one of the main reasons people are bullied on the platform. As an example, I make a post saying Bill Jones is a great guy. Over a week, two hundred people like my post and a dozen people comment: "I agree!"

A week later I edit the post to read "Bill Jones is an idiot!". Now we have a derogatory post with 200 likes and a dozen people agreeing. it happens all the time.

I resigned from a large FB group the other day because a member asked for the names of suppliers for materials suitable for laser cutting. I listed a dozen names and contact details, but the member decided she wanted that information for herself and deleted the post. I was offering the information to everyone, not just her, but she considered it to be something she didn't wish to share with others.

I hope all that makes sense.

I understand

Thanks Willmonte. The time permitted should be short and controlled by a variety of factors. Editing a post should be prohibited after a single member has read it, but it should be available for deletion until it's been commented on, or quoted. That's pretty much standard procedure on every forum.

Facebook is notorious for abusing this rule and this is one of the main reasons people are bullied on the platform. As an example, I make a post saying Bill Jones is a great guy. Over a week, two hundred people like my post and a dozen people comment: "I agree!"

A week later I edit the post to read "Bill Jones is an idiot!". Now we have a derogatory post with 200 likes and a dozen people agreeing. it happens all the time.

I resigned from a large FB group the other day because a member asked for the names of suppliers for materials suitable for laser cutting. I listed a dozen names and contact details, but the member decided she wanted that information for herself and deleted the post. I was offering the information to everyone, not just her, but she considered it to be something she didn't wish to share with others.

I hope all that makes sense.

@ Willmonte,  I need to apologise for a post you have quoted: I"ll at odds with this one . . . " When I wrote that post I was looking at the "comment" form where a person posts a comment As soon as I made the post I realised you're talking about the way the comment is displayed. Thus I immediately deleted my post. It would have been on the site for no less than ten seconds before I deleted it and you will see that it doesn't appear in the thread. Or does it? 

You were able to quote from a deleted post and that really worries me. How many other members can see it? Am I the only one who can't? This is a concern because posts should be able to be successfully deleted within a given time frame, and it's dangerous if they can still be seen after the member has supposedly deleted them.

I'm not writing it up as a bug, but I will start another thread to test it.

Let's face it, we can all make mistakes and there should be a cooling off period. 

Sorry for the confusion Willmonte, but my deleted post was replaced with the one showing the comment across the full screen, as per the attachment.

No worries, and yes to your post above. I do think that the author of a comment should always have the option to edit or delete a comment of their own. I never liked that option that boonex had or has that the author has only a limited time to either edit or delete their own comment. :-)

@ Willmonte,  I need to apologise for a post you have quoted: I"ll at odds with this one . . . " When I wrote that post I was looking at the "comment" form where a person posts a comment As soon as I made the post I realised you're talking about the way the comment is displayed. Thus I immediately deleted my post. It would have been on the site for no less than ten seconds before I deleted it and you will see that it doesn't appear in the thread. Or does it? 

You were able to quote from a deleted post and that really worries me. How many other members can see it? Am I the only one who can't? This is a concern because posts should be able to be successfully deleted within a given time frame, and it's dangerous if they can still be seen after the member has supposedly deleted them.

I'm not writing it up as a bug, but I will start another thread to test it.

Let's face it, we can all make mistakes and there should be a cooling off period. 

Sorry for the confusion Willmonte, but my deleted post was replaced with the one showing the comment across the full screen, as per the attachment.

samsung2.jpg38.4K2 views

Ok thank you. I will try and get to this when i can. It will require a bit of redesign to eliminate the left margin where the thumbnail photo is. Especially on the timeline. It will be a while before i get to it. More pressing matters to finish first.

I guess the best thing would be to move the icon inside the comment box.  You will gain horizontal space for an increase in vertical spacing; it is a trade off.

If you want a site for phones then one column layout; large fonts, large buttons.  Have it where they can post self-portraits and cute kittens photos.  Done.

Ok, let's get something straight here, for starters i did not mention or complain about the complete layout of Cheetah on a mobile device. 2nd i just gave a suggestion if that comment block can be wider via mobile. 3rd, people DO NOT walk around with a laptop, drive with laptops, go to restaurants with laptops, take subways with a laptop, cross the street with a laptop, go to movie theater with a laptop, go to a bar with a laptop, walk on a boardwalk with a laptop. If someone does all of the stuff i mentioned with a laptop, he or she is a MORAN!! If he or she lives behind a desk top or laptop then fine, that's their choice and by all means great and good for them, but 90% of the world does not.

Yes, I understand where you are coming from.  The phone is easier to hold in one hand so people tend to user it vertical.

Yep, and my bad if my reply appeared to be direct towards you, it was not meant to be. It's just that people complain about any little thing. :-)

If you want a site for phones then one column layout; large fonts, large buttons.  Have it where they can post self-portraits and cute kittens photos.  Done.

Ok, let's get something straight here, for starters i did not mention or complain about the complete layout of Cheetah on a mobile device. 2nd i just gave a suggestion if that comment block can be wider via mobile. 3rd, people DO NOT walk around with a laptop, drive with laptops, go to restaurants with laptops, take subways with a laptop, cross the street with a laptop, go to movie theater with a laptop, go to a bar with a laptop, walk on a boardwalk with a laptop. If someone does all of the stuff i mentioned with a laptop, he or she is a MORAN!! If he or she lives behind a desk top or laptop then fine, that's their choice and by all means great and good for them, but 90% of the world does not.

Yes, I understand where you are coming from.  The phone is easier to hold in one hand so people tend to user it vertical.

I'm really at odds with this one. Here's a dump of my Samsung A30(?) mobile phone. It's the comment frame in a Facebook group. It's exactly the same size or maybe smaller  than the comments frame on a Cheetah website. My question is this: How come a billion or more facebook users find this tiny comment window acceptable, but a few dozen people using a Cheetah web site don't?

I'm sorry, but it defies logic.

They don't complain because the size of the comment box of the picture u posted is wider and the picture of the screenshot that I provided looks awkward. If it were up to me, I really don't care the way it is now, but I know how people can be. If it's not too much of a hassle, perhaps Deano can make minor adjustments, if it's too much, then it can remain the way it is. I have no problem tilting my phone. It is what it is, but I do like the thumbnail appearing there, the way it is now. Who knows.

Fudge FaceCrook.

As everyone seems to be Facebook orientated these days, maybe something similar may be appropriate. They have the icon to the top  left with some jargon on the right. If you plan doing something Deano, I do feel the full width comment looks much better, be it vertical or horizontal.

samsung2.jpg38.4K27 views

Ok thank you. I will try and get to this when i can. It will require a bit of redesign to eliminate the left margin where the thumbnail photo is. Especially on the timeline. It will be a while before i get to it. More pressing matters to finish first.

Deano, will you be removing the thumbnail only on mobile view or both, mobile and desktop, cause it does look nice via desktop.

I have not determined that yet. I will have to play around and see what i can or cannot do.

Deano, will you be removing the thumbnail only on mobile view or both, mobile and desktop, cause it does look nice via desktop.

I have moved this topic from the forum https://www.cheetahwsb.com/forum/forum/Bugs-and-other-problems-with-site--0.htm to this one https://www.cheetahwsb.com/forum/forum/Bug-Reports-0.htm

Technically this is a issue that affects all Cheetah sites, not just this one, therefor belongs in this forum, not the one specific to issues with this site alone.

Of course, perfectly understandable!

This is comment field in profile comment section.

This is how it looks like.

Willmonte, Cheetah is a program designed for PC's. The only comparison between a mobile phone and a PC is that they can both access the Internet.  The only successful way to have the best of both worlds is to have the script you're currently using for PC users and a phone App that can access the same database for phone users.

Boonex has an App for Dolphin, but I think you need to be a registered user to access it. Even so, numerous people have claimed that the App isn't all that brilliant.

If you read older posts on this forum, Deano has stated that he'd prefer to stick with the PC version of Cheetah and have someone else design the App. If I recall correctly, he said he doesn't have time to do justice to both at this time.

I've never seen Facebook on a mobile phone so I can't comment. If the comment areas are larger than Cheetah when the phone is in portrait mode , then that could be a suggestion you can submit for future consideration.

Personally I don't consider it an urgent issue because my sites look fine when a person holds their phone sideways.

I understand, and boonex mobile app sucked, but who knows why! Let's not get things twisted here. I clearly know what Deano has stated here regarding mobile or not mobile or if the sky is green or purple. If you have not noticed, there is hardly any 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's 90's vehicles out on the streets anymore, everything is smaller, faster, quicker, etc.....that comment block will NOT or does it look nice via mobile. I can also see how Deano could miss it, he has a lot on his plate.

Although it is true that i don't intend on developing mobile apps, i will however make improvements to the software to make it more mobile friendly. I will eventually enhance the page builders to allow admins to control what blocks will show up on mobile devices, and some block design and template changes to better fit mobile screens. Web push notifications are also planned.

I agree, i don't like apps myself, they S*CK, but that comment block can or should be more wider. It's not your fault at all Deano, you have a lot on your plat i can only imagine. It was just a suggestion just in case you missed it.

They're out there! This is one of many.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/29/samsung-made-a-vertical-tv-for-watching-smartphone-videos/

Just when I think things cannot get any more stupid than what they already are, something like this comes along.  What idiot would buy a vertical television to just watch videos from their phone?

Although it is true that i don't intend on developing mobile apps, i will however make improvements to the software to make it more mobile friendly. I will eventually enhance the page builders to allow admins to control what blocks will show up on mobile devices, and some block design and template changes to better fit mobile screens. Web push notifications are also planned.

Willmonte, Cheetah is a program designed for PC's. The only comparison between a mobile phone and a PC is that they can both access the Internet.  The only successful way to have the best of both worlds is to have the script you're currently using for PC users and a phone App that can access the same database for phone users.

Boonex has an App for Dolphin, but I think you need to be a registered user to access it. Even so, numerous people have claimed that the App isn't all that brilliant.

If you read older posts on this forum, Deano has stated that he'd prefer to stick with the PC version of Cheetah and have someone else design the App. If I recall correctly, he said he doesn't have time to do justice to both at this time.

I've never seen Facebook on a mobile phone so I can't comment. If the comment areas are larger than Cheetah when the phone is in portrait mode , then that could be a suggestion you can submit for future consideration.

Personally I don't consider it an urgent issue because my sites look fine when a person holds their phone sideways.

We should think more about the users, they are more important then anything. Goodnight ladies and gents! cool

You can't make it idiot proof.  Look at how many people take vertical videos but I have yet to see a vertical television.  You would think the idiots would know how to take a proper video; however, they don't.

Your point is valid, and I completely agree. But when you are browsing websites, you know it's a vertical world. Even designing websites vertically is easier. It's the nature of the beast. When/if you view this site on your phone, do you do it in landscape or portrait mode? I mean... You have an option... So what's your default choice? I'm betting like most people it's in portrait mode. 

My two cents, of course! :)

Edit... It dawned on me that you weren't really debating portrait/landscape, GG. I think I originally misunderstood. I apologise for the invalid "lecture". :)

They're out there! This is one of many.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/29/samsung-made-a-vertical-tv-for-watching-smartphone-videos/

vwerical tv.jpg342.2K120 views

You can't make it idiot proof.  Look at how many people take vertical videos but I have yet to see a vertical television.  You would think the idiots would know how to take a proper video; however, they don't.

Piece of cake!

Turn your phone sideways and use it like a computer or a proper camera.  The width of the comments area will immediately be doubled.It's only a phone when you're yacking into it.

Oh of course John, i hear you, but......trust me when i tell you that i know people that won't even think of that and just because they have to tilt their phone they will get annoyed. Yes...yes...yes, very pathetic, but true. Thank you sir!

I agree, Will. As more people use their phone to web surf, than PC's, it's paramount to make your site as mobile, and user, friendly as possible.

I have a message at the top of my splash page in very large bold print: Mobile Phone and Tablet users: Turn your device sideways (landscape) for best results.

Piece of cake!

Turn your phone sideways and use it like a computer or a proper camera.  The width of the comments area will immediately be doubled.It's only a phone when you're yacking into it.

Oh of course John, i hear you, but......trust me when i tell you that i know people that won't even think of that and just because they have to tilt their phone they will get annoyed. Yes...yes...yes, very pathetic, but true. Thank you sir!

Piece of cake!

phone.jpg29K140 views

Hello,  can the width of comment be enlarged when replying to a comment? The 2 screenshot attached is when using mobile.

Forums  ›  Cheetah  ›  Bug Reports