Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

Chat Rooms

Conversion of image urls to img tags is now working. However some urls will not convert. Complex urls such as this one.

https://cfx-wp-images.imgix.net/2020/04/2020-Dodge-Challenger-rt.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&ixlib=php-3.3.0&s=155bca586f45aa294b9d469aa4b8aef3

Will not properly parse. I may be able to figure out a way to do it reliably, but i still have much more to do, so i leave it at that for now.

I was messing around and posted the image to the chat by copying the html from the inspect view.  So there is this huge squished image on the chat.  Sorry about that.

Conversion of image urls to img tags is now working. However some urls will not convert. Complex urls such as this one.

https://cfx-wp-images.imgix.net/2020/04/2020-Dodge-Challenger-rt.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&ixlib=php-3.3.0&s=155bca586f45aa294b9d469aa4b8aef3

Will not properly parse. I may be able to figure out a way to do it reliably, but i still have much more to do, so i leave it at that for now.

I posted a video via mobile using ofcourse the desktop view feature. I then clicked full mode option and screen rotated as shown in attached pic. 

Yea, i found those instructions too.

I know you must be busy as hell, but just food for thought, i don't think users r going to want to constantly be changing their mobiles to desktop and then back. Anyways go do what you were doing and try to take breaks and eat something bro

Yup. And that will slow down the video posting. Chat rooms are for chatting, not sharing and watching videos. So i don't think i am going to try making it easier.

Most admins i think will disallow it in the options anyway.

I agree with this completely.  We are losing the ability to communicate.  Too many lazy millennials posting memes instead of actually composing their own thoughts.  Many of them probably can't compose their own thoughts.

Yes, good point GG and I too agree, but remember, we r outnumbered....sadly!

On the YouTube sharing part:

On my mobile, I had share, then copy to clipboard and it gave me the URL, is it possible to create an embed code for YouTube from the video URL? On mobile I didn't see an embed code. 

However, I agree with you, chat is for having real conversations.

I know you must be busy as hell, but just food for thought, i don't think users r going to want to constantly be changing their mobiles to desktop and then back. Anyways go do what you were doing and try to take breaks and eat something bro

Yup. And that will slow down the video posting. Chat rooms are for chatting, not sharing and watching videos. So i don't think i am going to try making it easier.

I agree with this completely.  We are losing the ability to communicate.  Too many lazy millennials posting memes instead of actually composing their own thoughts.  Many of them probably can't compose their own thoughts.

I can now see your point

I would look at the possibility to reduce the size of the embedded videos; which can be done by using a different width and height in the embed code.  Huge videos taking up all of the chat window sort of ... can't think of the word.  The same with any images posted; need to be scaled down so they don't just take over the chat viewport.

Yes, i will be adding options for all of that in the administration section so admins of sites can decide what the limits will be.

I would look at the possibility to reduce the size of the embedded videos; which can be done by using a different width and height in the embed code.  Huge videos taking up all of the chat window sort of ... can't think of the word.  The same with any images posted; need to be scaled down so they don't just take over the chat viewport.

Not through uploads. The chat rooms will not have a tinymce editor. So uploading and embedding of images will not be possible.

However the chat rooms will support and be able to convert urls. Website urls will be converted to a link and image urls will be converted to a image tag. So when that conversion is in place and working, any supported image including gifs will work.

Video embed codes already work. I posted one in this chat room. https://dev6.cheetahwsb.com/m/chat/room/adult

Found it i think https://youtu.be/-8fEYLcPmeY

image urls will be converted to a image tag

Will need to make sure that huge images are resized so they don't break the layout.  I often use right click, copy image, and then paste as a short cut to inserting an image tag; thought I would mention that method.

I was wondering if something like BBcode could be available for simple markup

I could probably do that too.

I agree that the chat rooms should not allow image uploads.  If someone wants to post a meme or other image, then just grab the url to that image.  The nature of chats is transient; like having a conversation face to face.  Uploads would accumulate and then have to be deleted by some method, cron etc.

I was wondering if something like BBcode could be available for simple markup; bold, italic, font colour.  We don't need a tinymce editor in chat but sometimes making something bold or changing the colour of the font is nice.

Not through uploads. The chat rooms will not have a tinymce editor. So uploading and embedding of images will not be possible.

However the chat rooms will support and be able to convert urls. Website urls will be converted to a link and image urls will be converted to a image tag. So when that conversion is in place and working, any supported image including gifs will work.

Video embed codes already work. I posted one in this chat room. https://dev6.cheetahwsb.com/m/chat/room/adult

In the chat rooms or in Cheetah in general?

I plan on adding support for gifs in Cheetah eventually. Not on my priority list.

Chatroom

In the chat rooms or in Cheetah in general?

I plan on adding support for gifs in Cheetah eventually. Not on my priority list.

Hello, are there any plans in the future to add GIF capabilities?

Damm. i have to take a break. My eyes hurt.

I hate javascript, but this thing has close to 400 lines of javascript code alone and climbing.

Yes, please take breaks

I hate javascript, but this thing has close to 400 lines of javascript code alone and climbing.

I don't know how you guys can do this, but greatly appreciated 

Please take breaks every hour or so, sitting too long at a time is very bad for one's health.  Get up and take a walk and relax.  I find myself sitting for hours on hours at the keyboard and it isn't good. 

By the way, I was using FireFox browser on an Android based phone.

The last 2 pics r full screen, as u can see, i do see the field to type comment, but when i tap on it, the keyboard on my cell appears and can't see what i'm typing

I looked at it on my mobile as well.  You could scroll the chat window up and down with the keyboard open but not enough for the input field to be visible.  You can type into the field but you don't know when you make a mistake.

Another thing I saw was that when you click on the emojiis or stickers that you can't scroll that pop-up window; it wanted to scroll the entire browser screen.

However, what you have accomplished Deano is great and very much appreciated.

Ok. Feature needs some more tweeking.

Will, could you try the full screen feature again. I have it working perfectly on my phone with all 3 browsers i have installed.

The last 2 pics r full screen, as u can see, i do see the field to type comment, but when i tap on it, the keyboard on my cell appears and can't see what i'm typing

Will, could you try the full screen feature again. I have it working perfectly on my phone with all 3 browsers i have installed.

This is what I see, I cleared everything

Ok. Back to the drawing board.

This is what I see, I cleared everything

I think i am going to throw in a ton of site admin options regarding urls to websites and images in the chat.

Options to allow converting the urls to links or not, as well as a option to remove urls and mark redacted.

Same with images, leave as url, convert to link or image tag or redact.

Options also for video embed codes too when i get to that.

With different options for public vs public/adult vs private.

Options have to be there as there is no way you can hold a image for admin review in a live chat room. So the admin needs the options so they have a choice as to take a chance with the urls or not.

I recall over on the "other" site that people wanted a way to display how many members were in the chat room on the main site; it would help if people knew that others were chatting and they could join in.  Do you think it will be possible to have a block on the front page; and perhaps in the account, showing that X members are in the chat rooms?

Yes. Already planned.

I recall over on the "other" site that people wanted a way to display how many members were in the chat room on the main site; it would help if people knew that others were chatting and they could join in.  Do you think it will be possible to have a block on the front page; and perhaps in the account, showing that X members are in the chat rooms?

Look at attached pic

Thanks.

There is now a full screen mode. On mobile this comes in handy as it will use the entire mobile screen.

The chat room is coming along nicely; thanks for the hard work Deano, very much appreciated.

Anyone who wishes to see the chat rooms as they are being developed, you can join this dev site where i am creating the module. https://dev6.cheetahwsb.com

NOTE: This is a work in progress, and full of bugs, lacks features and some things are not yet working, so there is no need to report any problems as yet. I will let people know when i want or need feedback on a given area.

Will do so and test.

Right. Forgot about that stupid captcha. I removed it.

LOL

Right. Forgot about that stupid captcha. I removed it.

Anyone who wishes to see the chat rooms as they are being developed, you can join this dev site where i am creating the module. https://dev6.cheetahwsb.com

NOTE: This is a work in progress, and full of bugs, lacks features and some things are not yet working, so there is no need to report any problems as yet. I will let people know when i want or need feedback on a given area.

Hi, can't join, there is no captcha to click on

Join.png68.4K1 views

Deano, here is a question someone wanted me to ask you.  Will members be able to create private chat rooms and invite people in; possibly by issuing a password for the private room?  Or will that have to wait for a future release?

Yes. Both public and private rooms will be available.

Deano, you are the man

Deano, here is a question someone wanted me to ask you.  Will members be able to create private chat rooms and invite people in; possibly by issuing a password for the private room?  Or will that have to wait for a future release?

Awesome!

Just to make sure everyone is aware of it, the standard chat module included with Cheetah, (not to be confused with Chat+) is a flash based module and will be removed in the next version of Cheetah as part of the ongoing process of flash removal within Cheetah.

It will be replaced by a module of the same name. The new module will be a standard text only chat room module. First version will not have Audio/Video support. Future versions will.

When i remove Chat. i need to replace it with some kind of chat system and without flash, text based is the only option that will work on shared hosting. When i add the Audio/Video support to it, the Audio/Video features will require a server side Node.js script be installed. Which will require a VPS or Dedicated server. I am not aware of any shared hosting that supports Node.js

I may need to release this module under a different name other than chat due to how it may complicate the next upgrade. Because before upgrading, the old chat module would have to be uninstalled first. No one should have the old one installed anyway. It does not currently work.

Anyhow, i am working on this new chat module now and will be pushing to have it ready for the next release date.

Great news

By the way Deano, thanks a lot for all your work.  I don't know how you find the time.

The old flash based chat also needed one to install an RMS server for it to work properly.  I use to host sites on my RMS server but the few have since stopped; either having moved to another platform or having moved to using Rocket.Chat. 

Just to make sure everyone is aware of it, the standard chat module included with Cheetah, (not to be confused with Chat+) is a flash based module and will be removed in the next version of Cheetah as part of the ongoing process of flash removal within Cheetah.

It will be replaced by a module of the same name. The new module will be a standard text only chat room module. First version will not have Audio/Video support. Future versions will.

When i remove Chat. i need to replace it with some kind of chat system and without flash, text based is the only option that will work on shared hosting. When i add the Audio/Video support to it, the Audio/Video features will require a server side Node.js script be installed. Which will require a VPS or Dedicated server. I am not aware of any shared hosting that supports Node.js

I may need to release this module under a different name other than chat due to how it may complicate the next upgrade. Because before upgrading, the old chat module would have to be uninstalled first. No one should have the old one installed anyway. It does not currently work.

Anyhow, i am working on this new chat module now and will be pushing to have it ready for the next release date.