Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

live streaming

Chats and video feeds are generally not recorded. Some sites offer the ability to record a video session, but normally they are not.

And most video chats are point to point nowadays and don't require much server power.

And live video streams are a stream that others connect to. It is a broadcast from the source and others connect directly to the source. The server just acts as sort of a directory that tells others where to connect. The only time the server would be used as a middle man for a video stream is in rare cases where a point to point connection cannot be established which would only occur behind certain types of firewalls. That would require additional server software that i will not be providing and would be up to the admin if they want to accept those kinds of connections and install the needed software to do it, and that would consume a lot of server bandwidth so i would not recommend it anyway.

Thanks, great plan!

Chats and video feeds are generally not recorded. Some sites offer the ability to record a video session, but normally they are not.

And most video chats are point to point nowadays and don't require much server power.

And live video streams are a stream that others connect to. It is a broadcast from the source and others connect directly to the source. The server just acts as sort of a directory that tells others where to connect. The only time the server would be used as a middle man for a video stream is in rare cases where a point to point connection cannot be established which would only occur behind certain types of firewalls. That would require additional server software that i will not be providing and would be up to the admin if they want to accept those kinds of connections and install the needed software to do it, and that would consume a lot of server bandwidth so i would not recommend it anyway.

It is planned as part of a video chat module. However due to the level of complexity, it is on hold as a future enhancement while i get other things such a bug fixes and many smaller issues done first.

So for now, the only option is through 3'rd parties.

Wow, nice!! Can't wait cause u know just as well as I do, that privacy is huge now in these days. So, once u get to that point in which u state that it will be part of the chat module, will it take away a lot of our server resources? Will the users live streaming be stored in our own servers? I'm a bit confused on that, cause not many know of where their chats and live videos are stored in these days. Or am I wrong here?

It is planned as part of a video chat module. However due to the level of complexity, it is on hold as a future enhancement while i get other things such a bug fixes and many smaller issues done first.

So for now, the only option is through 3'rd parties.

Hello Deano, I'm curious on ur view regarding Cheetah and live streaming. Some platforms are using 3rd parties and it is difficult to setup as well as "Privacy issues."