Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

What is Cheetah?

I have a project Im looking at getting going this year, sooner rather than later, curious to see if C will be suitable or not at the moment or if its still something for the future...

Good to see you here Daihlo. You may have trouble reaching your goal because the year finishes in a day or so cool. Also, a new version of Cheetah is about to be released and one I think you'll be glad you waited for. There's an older version (1.0.0) available, but to test  it, there's also a beta version.

As Geek_Girl has mentioned, this site runs on Cheetah and that's something Boonex was never prepared to do. They never used their own forum, which always made me wonder.

Just read through the older posts here and you'll get some idea about what's going on. If you have any suggestions, there's a special place for those in the Suggestions module which is actually a Modzzz module, as are a couple of others. The Cheetah modules are currently the same as those found on Dolphin, but I suspect that will eventually change as well.

The conversion script can be found  under Developer Info in the menu. Sorry I can't get the URL for you while I'm writing this. It seems to work for a lot of third party modules, but don't forget to also convert a copy of your existing database.

Yes, this website is running on Cheetah.  There is also a development Cheetah site as well which has the latest changes.

Cheetah is a fork of Dolphin.  So at this time much of Cheetah is still Dolphin but Deano has been hard at work removing the Dolphin bugs and making improvements.  He has already improved the way videos are handled.  If a video is already in the proper format, then it is not ran through ffmpeg and reconverted again, it is ready to be viewed as soon as the upload has finished.  He is working to improve the sound module as well.  One thing to note is that as the code base evolves you won't be able to backport the improvements to Dolphin.

Deano did write a conversion scripts for any Dolphin 7.4.2 module.  He is also planning on having a Dolphin to Cheetah migration script; of course it will only be able to import the core modules since he won't have access to third party modules. 

Hi all, I came back to check out D recently after moving to other platforms, didn't find it had really gone anyway other than backwards!

Saw talk of Cheetah many years ago so good to see something is happening with it now :-)

Is Cheetah a completely new build or is it D with the bad stuff stripped out and rewritten? 

Just trying to figure out exactly what it is!

Is this site running on D or C? looking for a demo...

I have a project Im looking at getting going this year, sooner rather than later, curious to see if C will be suitable or not at the moment or if its still something for the future...

Thanks  :-)