I'm not much use as a beta tester because I find it difficult to concentrate, plus I like difficult challenges to keep my ageing brain alert. As such, I've decided to approach Cheetah in a different way, but the same way a lot of people out there will want to do.
I've decided to move a working Dolphin site with dozens of third party modules and hundreds of core changes over to Cheetah and report on the problems I experience in doing so. I realise Cheetah is still in Beta, but some of the issues I experience may well lead the way to more people choosing Cheetah as their script of choice.
The purpose of this thread is to encourage our members to offer advice, suggestions or warnings. By all accounts, the Module Conversion Script is working fine and I've already used it to successfully convert several modules and a 650 table database. In just a few hours I've had the front end almost working, but the Administration section refuses to open as I speak. I'm putting the latter down to the fact that I still have to add over 30 third party modules, but most of the front end works except for profiles being inaccessible and Members thumbnails not showing. other than that, the Photos section seems to be working okay, but there are a few mysterious things I do need to sort out.
I fully understand that I may be wasting my time, because "Beta" does mean "still being tested". Even so, why not start now and be ready for the influx of questions when more people start making the switch.
This is a brief summary of the procedure I'm adopting and it may be all that's needed. My issues with photos is probably due to my previous mods to the photos section and my failure to understand the logic.
- Created a new Cheetah site and only installed the packaged modules I'm using on my original site.
- Moved all photos, videos, files etc., from the original site to their respective homes in Flash, Photos, etc.
- Changed the template temporarily on my original site to Evo (Important).
- Copied my original database and converted it in Cheetah's developer Tools. I placed it into a zip fie to do this.
- Deleted the Cheetah database and replaced it with the converted original.
- Ran Cheetah for the first time. The front end opened with all photos in the Timeline. I can access photos via the timeline or "Photos" in the menu, but haven't tried uploading yet.
- Member's thumbs are blank (no broken link, just the alphabetical character.) clicking Profiles brings up the "Something went wrong" error.
- Admin doesn't work yet but I don't expect it to at this stage because I haven't added any third-party modules yet. I'm doing that now. I won't be installing them, just adding them to the Modules directory.
Okay, that's a start, it's not meant to be a tutorial, but a basis for discussion. All suggestions welcome.
Regarding the Photos: In case nobody has noticed, Deano must be congratulated for doing a fantastic job with the photos upload module which will stop people from creating a new album every time they upload a new photo. I pleaded with Boonex to make these changes, but they weren't interested. As such, I made these changes myself with the help of the Boonex moderators, but it involved some database changes which I believe are the reason I'm experiencing problems now. If you haven't fiddled with the Photos module or the database, upgrading to Cheetah should be relatively painless.