Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

Subscribing to member content.

cause if you really think baout it - subscribe is used to mean follow these days. Look at youtubers "subscribe and follow". 

Follow owuld probably be the most appropriate and the only thing that doesn't need an explanation. People will understand it.

Yes I agree that "Follow is the correct term for what Boonex calls "Subscribe", but Deano has suggested that this could cause issues with 3rd party modules. Thus my suggestions have been to reluctantly leave "Subscribe" everywhere and use one of the various words I've come up with to describe actual actual ongoing payments for people who use Cheetah.

Follow owuld probably be the most appropriate and the only thing that doesn't need an explanation. People will understand it.

Yes I agree that "Follow is the correct term for what Boonex calls "Subscribe", but Deano has suggested that this could cause issues with 3rd party modules. Thus my suggestions have been to reluctantly leave "Subscribe" everywhere and use one of the various words I've come up with to describe actual actual ongoing payments for people who use Cheetah.

I'm in a totally different line of work, but when I see you guys communicating like this, I say to myself, this is what it's all about. That's why Cheetah will do good. :-)

Yes, Boonex wasn't the best at UI.

If you're only concerned with this site and not Cheetah itself, Maybe you can just use the words "Members" for financial supporters and "Guests" (Guest members) for people using the free version. Thus the button could simply be "Membership".

This site at the moment, but In the future, Cheetah as well because eventually the payments module will allow use of PayPal subscriptions.

I am already using Sponsors in a couple of locations of this site.

This mess probably came about through the Russian translation well before boonex took over. "Subscribe" seems so wrong, but as you say, we're stuck with it.

The Thesaurus doesn't offer a great deal in the way of catchy words, but one which does stand out of your subscription scheme is "Subs". It's used regularly in Australia to describe a repetitive payment. "Your Subs are due".

Sponsors (?)

Supporters

Contributors

Patrons

If you're only concerned with this site and not Cheetah itself, Maybe you can just use the words "Members" for financial supporters and "Guests" (Guest members) for people using the free version. Thus the button could simply be "Membership".

I'll keep thinking.

As "Subscribe" is used everywhere, it may be far too difficult to change it now. Thus for paid services you're offering, maybe a button for "Payments" may solve the problem. An alternative may be:

You are correct and it is unfortunate. If it was just areas within Cheetah i would change it. But the SBS system for subscribing to content can be and is used by 3'rd party modules, and many of modzzz modules use it.

Changing/Fixing this mistake boonex made would break a large number of 3'rd party modules. So it appears as if i can't do it.

I guess what i may do instead is rename the title of the subscription page for SBS content to make it clear that it is for content their subscribed to and fully describe anything dealing with PayPal subscriptions as well and hope for the best as changing the SBS system now is to late as i would not be able to detect this in the module conversion script, so it can't be automatically corrected during conversion of the modules either.

How correct you are. "My Account" implies you have an account. In the old days you never had an account unless you  . . .  had an arrangement where money changed hands!

Once again, be for the Internet, a "Subscription" was a payment for recurring goods and services: I've subscribed to this magazine,  or I subscribed to a art training course.

As Geek_Girl has correctly suggested, the word "Subscription" in the case of Dolhin/Cheetah is incorrect and it should read  "Follow" or something similar.

As "Subscribe" is used everywhere, it may be far too difficult to change it now. Thus for paid services you're offering, maybe a button for "Payments" may solve the problem. An alternative may be:

Billing

I will give it some thought.  I wonder how other platforms handle it; I am not really on social media.

Follow 

Notify

Ok. I need to address this. When i start working on paid membership subscriptions for the payment module, and other things. It's going to cause a lot of confusion with these subscription buttons throughout the site and the subscriptions page that show you what your subscribed to.

These are not really subscriptions in my opinion, but rather signing up to receive notices on certain actions that take place throughout the site.

A subscription in my opinion is this...

The action of making or agreeing to make an advance payment in order to receive or participate in something.

Subscription implies a service that is paid for on a regular basis.

It does have a couple of other meanings, but that is the most common one.

So i have to rename the current subscription areas of the site to something that makes more sense as to what it actually is to try and avoid confusion with things like paid membership subscriptions.

I have been racking my brain for hours on this giving myself a headache as to what to call it. It needs to be short for the buttons. So far i have come up with nothing. I am now seeking ideas from others.