Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

RocketChat Sucks

I have not even been able to get it to successfully run on my current server with plesk.

You should look at webmin and/or webmin/Virtualmin.  I have tried a lot of control panels over the years and I like webmin/Virtualmin.  You get the best of both worlds.  I find that Plesk is too heavyhanded on what it does to the server.  I also think it is too heavy on resources.  I manage a few Plesk servers and I hate when I have to go into them.

Virtualmin is an additional layer to webmin; it allows you to set up virtual servers (think cPanel on WHM).  If you are not wanting to host virtual servers for others then webmin is all you need.  You can run as many sites as you need with just webmin but they are not isolated from each other; Virtualmin is like cPanel in that each virtual server is isolated from the others.

A new chat module is on my todo list. Has been for quite some time as i don't like rocket chat either.

I have not even been able to get it to successfully run on my current server with plesk. Don't know if it's the version of node plesk installs or what, but i can't get the damn thing to run. Thats when i decided i will need to write my own.

There are other issues as well.  Chat rooms can not be deleted from the Chat+ admin; you have to shell in and use the mongo shell and then know how to manipulate the tables from the mongo shell.  The GUI I tried to add to a client's server for mongo was a huge mess.  Once you hide the email/password form; if you get locked out of the chat server for some reason, there is no other way to get back in as admin to fix anything; you have to dump the database along with all the chat rooms and history and start over.  I may have to try and find another chat solution for this particular site and just forget Chat+  If I had the funds available to me, I would fund you writing the replacement chat module.  I think John's suggestion of crowdfunding is a good one.

A new chat module is on my todo list. Has been for quite some time as i don't like rocket chat either.

I have not even been able to get it to successfully run on my current server with plesk. Don't know if it's the version of node plesk installs or what, but i can't get the damn thing to run. Thats when i decided i will need to write my own.

I am back to the same issue with RocketChat that I had before.  This is on an old Dolphin site I am trying to help someone get back up and running.  Eventually I would like to see it migrated from Dolphin to Cheetah.  I had to update the site to 7.4.2; the good thing is that they only had a few third party modules since you have to upgrade the modules before upgrading Dolphin or you will run into a lot of php errors.  Then I fixed the bugs that Boonex refuses to fix even though Deano did the work for them.

I installed Chat+ using the Boonex instructions to the letter.  Chat+ (RocketChat) server runs and you can log in using email and password.  However, the oauth2 connection does not work.  I don't think it is the oauth2 module, I think it is RocketChat and that dang mongodb.  I wish there was a nice easy chat solution, one with both text and video/sound chat.  I liked the Flash Chat module, it just worked.  Yes, you had to install the RMS media server to handle the video part but that was easy to do and it worked.

Every time I have worked with Chat+ it has been like pulling hen's teeth.  And when it does work, I have no idea what I really did to make it work.