Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

Request for feedback.

I am guessing that if you don't change the default text field then nothing is changed in the language key.

Actually no. As it is currently written, it will over write whats in the language key with what is in the default text field on save. Regardless if it was changed or not.

That is basically the same thing, correct?  There are two things here; creating new and editing.  So let's say I edit; it pulls in the current values, correct?  So if I don't make a change and it simply writes out the current values again upon saving, then that is OK.  If I decide I do want to change the current value, then yes, it should write out my changes; otherwise, why make a change?

I am guessing that if you don't change the default text field then nothing is changed in the language key.

Actually no. As it is currently written, it will over write whats in the language key with what is in the default text field on save. Regardless if it was changed or not.

In my opinion, that is the way it should be handled; if you change the default text then yes, it should change the default text in the language key.  I am guessing that if you don't change the default text field then nothing is changed in the language key.

A issue was brought up on the Boonex forums about how the service menu builder works. That topic is here. https://www.boonex.com/forums/topic/Service-Menu-entries-done-in-the-DEFAULT-field.htm and i created a issue for it in the Cheetah repo here. https://github.com/deano92964/Cheetah/issues/68

However, on further investigation i determined that this was by design. In the three more recent menu builders, the Service Menu, Member Menu and Bottom Menu will update the contents of the specified language key with the content of the Default Name field when the menu item is save after editing it.

The original two menu builders, Navigation Menu and Admin Menu do not do that.

My question is, how do you think most site administrators will want it to behave? Should i update the code in the two original menu builders so it does the same thing as the other three, or should i remove that code that updates the language key from the newer three menu builders?

I can see the usefulness of updating the language key with that value as it provides a quick way to change it. But apparently the op of that post on Boonex forums does not like it.

If it's decided that the language key should not be updated, then the Default Name field should also be removed from the Editor Popup as it would serve no purpose.

So what does everyone think? For now, i have that issue on hold until i decide what way it should be handled.