Hey guys. I'm new here, and wanted to put fourth a few ideas for consideration.
First of all, I want to go over some of the things I dislike about Dolphin.
1. Too many duplicate modules. Ads, marketplace, Store, Classifieds, Shop etc. Articles, Blogs, Forum topics, etc. Photos, Sounds, Videos, Files etc. They all look alike. But this could be consolidated into text fields, and media inputs. Then you could make as many instances of those, and interlink them with relationships if you wanted. That would be the best way to limit duplicate modules out of the box.
Yes, there were duplicate modules but many were to address shortcomings in the core modules.
2. Flash apps. Replacing these with HTML5 or WebRTC equivalent would be best.
Flash apps are being removed; you won't see them listed in the backend. Deano is already working on a chat module to replace the flash based chat.
3. Mobile apps. Honestly a mobile web version would be best.
Yes, Deano has also stated that work will be done on mobile but not a mobile app but using other technologies.
4. No ability to recover accidentally deleted core items. The ability to shield core modules from deletion would be great. And perhaps making too many core edits as well just for new administrators. For things that belong in page builder and navigation builders.
If you mean uninstall then yes, it would be nice to have a way to lock modules from being uninstalled. Of course anyone running a site should have constant backups.
5. Service and top menus. Why do we have two of them? Make one top navigation menu instead.
I see no issue with having the service menu; it is just a quick way to navigate to the member's pages of profile and account and settings.
6. Having to edit language files to change basic info like copyright etc. Make that a module on a page and you're good to go. Like the footer for example.
This makes them part of the language so that they are easily translated. Deano Tools for Dolphin has editors for these areas and Deano will be adding them to the admin in due time. If you want them now; you can covert the Deano Tools from the Boonex Market and install the module on your Cheetah.
7. The inability to drag modules onto any page. Instead, focus on relative and additional modules as categories relating to the page you're editing in page builder.
Not sure what you mean with this one.
8. Tell a friend feature. I think a member invitation system would be great instead.
Agree that better invitation system is needed. Modzzz has one in the Boonex Market and it will work with Cheetah.
9. Add multiple members to super administrator role. Dolphin needs this without a database hack.
I disagree with having super admins; that is a role that only very trusted members should have. However, there is a module; or was, in Dolphin that allowed one to have multi-admins where the super admin could limit what they could do in the back end. I would like to see that added to Cheetah.
10. Automatic updates. Lets forget about upgrades, or centralized services. Instead, make updates come from Git Hub for developmental changes. And for beta and stable rings, provide a localized git service for those changes.
I don't like automatic updates; you run the risk of breaking sites like Boonex does with UNA. I don't know how many times sites have broken in UNA because the person had auto updates on. Boonex is too bad about releasing buggy code. It might be safer under Deano but I still don't like auto updates.
What do you think?
I took the most radical idea of all, consolidating duplicate text and media field inputs from wordpress plugin Toolset Types.