Forums  ›  Developers  ›  Developer Notices

Here is a bit of ugliness; Centos 8.6

I was hoping Rocky Linux was going to be the choice plesk, cpanel and hosting providers would choose

Yes, I was hoping the same.  It would seem the better choice to me. 

I had switched my servers over to Ubuntu quite a while ago.

I was hoping Rocky Linux was going to be the choice plesk, cpanel and hosting providers would choose to use as a alternative because the previous owner of CentOS is the one who started it.

However seems the distro that cPanel and Plesk choose to support is https://almalinux.org/ which is a 1:1 binary compatible clone of RHEL as Rocky is as well. It also has a tool available to migrate a CentOS 8 server over to it.

It appears that they didn't just change where Centos 8 would be getting updates; it appears that Centos 8 is dead.  This has put me in a difficult position with a server I manage.  It has two sites on the server; one is live and one is scheduled to go live Monday.  I am seeing a migration script to move to Rocky Linux but that is something I don't want to risk using on a server that has a live site.  At some point I need to move the sites off the server and rebuild it using Ubuntu.  The reason for Ubuntu is that a lot of applications are built on Ubuntu and I can run them without having to use Docker or other containers or using a VM that you have to worry about connections in and out that can fail for whatever reason; I guess just because they want to.