Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

Flash support.

so i can do mac testing and development

I have looked at this.  However, you pretty much have to buy the OS and Apple does not want you installing it on anything but Apple products; it will probably be a challenge to get it to work.  It was too much work at the time so I abandoned the effort.

A challenge, but doable. I have done it before a couple of years ago. I have a imac, but it's way to old to run any of the new versions of macOS.

so i can do mac testing and development

I have looked at this.  However, you pretty much have to buy the OS and Apple does not want you installing it on anything but Apple products; it will probably be a challenge to get it to work.  It was too much work at the time so I abandoned the effort.

I just ordered a new 12 core 24 thread Intel I9 workstation

I want the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 24 core but I am poor. I can't even afford to buy a 386 at the moment.

My current 8 core 16 thread Ryzan 7 system will become a dedicated Linux box for a build environment. Most likely running either Ubuntu or Debian as those appear to be most commonly used for build environments.

Yes, I don't really understand that since CentOS is a much better server environment built from Red Hat Enterprise edition; it is a much more harden environment.  I think it stems from developers that have Ubuntu as a desktop environment.  I run Linux Mint as a desktop but CentOS is my choice for a server that will be handling a webserver and a database server.  I recently was forced to install a VM with Ubuntu on my CentOS server to try out Zulip.  The Ubuntu server was just a headless version of the Ubuntu desktop.  However, it was for the best as I started to read into Zulip it pretty much has to be installed on a bare server because it installs a bunch of stuff that can mess up the main server.

FFMPEG will be one of the first things i have to separate out so it's independent with it's own settings area in admin. After i get to a point where i am ready to do that, i'll hit you up for what you believe should be provided for settings.

As for FFMPEG, I compiled my own version. I had a bitch of a time doing it. I was doing it in a VM. I am setting up a better environment for development.

I just ordered a new 12 core 24 thread Intel I9 workstation which will become my primary development machine. Being a Intel, i will also be able to run Macos Vm's so i can do mac testing and development which i currently can't do.

My current 8 core 16 thread Ryzan 7 system will become a dedicated Linux box for a build environment. Most likely running either Ubuntu or Debian as those appear to be most commonly used for build environments.

I may have saw this years ago and forgot about it.  Apple got in a war with Adobe over flash and decided they would drop support on Apple devices.  This forced people to either ignore a segment of the users or follow Apple suit.  They decided to follow Apple.  Supposedly HTML5 Canvas is able to do what you use to do with Flash.

For Cheetah; one area is that the Flash video plugin also handled the settings for ffmpeg; the settings were written to an xml file.  I have always wanted it separated out and the ability to have more settings; I would simply manually edit the xml file to add in the settings I needed to pass to ffmpeg.  Perhaps we can discuss what is needed here.  I think you already looked at ffmpeg itself and decided that p-threads were enabled in the default ffmpeg that shipped with Dolphin; or am I wrong here?

I also did some work on video encoding and format that I would like to discuss in the suggestions area.

I knew flash was eventually coming to an end, but i was not aware of a date until today. I discovered Adobe is ending support for Flash on Dec 31, 2020. They apparently announced this 3 years ago and somehow i missed it.

Microsoft has announced that flash will be removed from it's browsers via windows update after that date. Google Chrome and Firefox will also no longer include flash by the end of the year. I can only assume others will do the same.

So apparently Flash will be completely gone after the end of this year.

As such i will be making every effort to remove all flash support and apps from Cheetah by the end of the year as well.