Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

Emails continue to go to member's Spam Folder

Deano sent me a PM re this and his response has solved ALL my problems as far as I can determine. We've sent several emails to Yahoo, and all have been accepted. We still have to try Hotmail, but I'm confident it will work there as well.

Thanks Deano. Part of the solution is in a module supplied with Cheetah, but it takes a little knowledge to get the module working. It's not hard once you know how and I'll post a tutorial as soon as I catch up with my email backlog. 

Thanks Deano. I've PM'd you.

Yahoo say there's no recourse. Take it or leave it.

I agree that the IP address is probably a recycled Spammer's address, but it's likely every other address my provider gives me would be the same. I've signed up for SendinBlue, but the head is spinning. Once I sort it all out, I'll add a tutorial.

Incidentally, I added a contact for our site email in my Yahoo account, but that made no difference.

Other than taking it up with yahoo, i have no suggestions. It would seem the ip address your server is using may have been used by someone else in the past that sent a lot of spam. You could also ask your host for a different ip address, but that would require dns changes that will take time to propagate and may not solve the problem.

So my suggestion is you use a 3'rd party smtp service to send all your sites email through. It's what i use on this site. The service i use is https://www.sendinblue.com/

Once you have an account there you would use the smtp mailer module in cheetah setup to use the sendinblue outbound with your account details. Sendinblue allows 300 outbound emails per day on the free plan which should be fine for most sites. And even if 300 is reached, they will still be sent, but delayed until the next day begins.

The situation with emails has gotten worse instead of better. I've changed all the major join/login email templates, but Yahoo in particular is causing grave concern. 

After a person fills in the join form, they're sent an email with a link to confirm their email address is correct. That email goes to Gmail okay, but it never reaches a yahoo subscriber. 

I'm using Roundcube and it tells me when an email is rejected. Initially I continuously received rejection notices from Yahoo, but now I don't receive anything. It seems they've decided to ignore the site completely. The same prospective member can join via GMail with no issues. I haven't tried Hotmail.

Initially Yahoo rejected the emails, because in it's opinion : A number of members have recently complained of spamming from that IP address.

I've checked as many blacklist sites as I can and I've got a clear sheet.

Any ideas because far too many people use Yahoo.

Yep, gmail was sending all to spam, i fixed it, yahoo, aol and others were sending all emails to spam, was hard, but it's all fixed.

Do you mind outlining what you did to fix it?

This might help with Gmail, but in can't find others. https://clean.email/gmail-spam-filter

Thanks Geek_Girl. You're right, it is part of my mail server's offerings and it's got a green tick.

I'll look at the templates next.

John

haven't done DKIM. Is it worth the trouble?

Some servers may reject email if it isn't digitally signed.  It is easy enough so I would add it.  It may be a part of your control panel if you are running your own mail server.

I think it's easy enough to fix at the receiver's end. All I do is enter the address in my contacts list. As far as I'm aware, Gmail and Yahoo both look there and accept the email if the address is recorded.

However, people signing up and most regular members don't do this. 

I used this tutorial but haven't done DKIM. Is it worth the trouble?

https://www.the-digital-life.com/mail-server-dns-records/

Yep, gmail was sending all to spam, i fixed it, yahoo, aol and others were sending all emails to spam, was hard, but it's all fixed.

I would have to try to think hard so i can remember how i did it. Many files and other data was stored in a folder on the laptop that the screen got damaged.

Emails being rejected is different from emails going to spam folders.  If you have emails being rejected by the mail servers then yes, there are things you can do to help prevent rejection.  These things won't do anything for emails going to spam folders; if the email is going to their spam folder then the email server is accepting the emails.  Reverse DNS, SFP record, and DKIM are what you are probably referring to.

Emails being rejected is different from emails going to spam folders.  If you have emails being rejected by the mail servers then yes, there are things you can do to help prevent rejection.  These things won't do anything for emails going to spam folders; if the email is going to their spam folder then the email server is accepting the emails.  Reverse DNS, SFP record, and DKIM are what you are probably referring to.

I have seen many people talking about emails going to spam.  Here is the facts folks, once the email leaves your server, there is nothing you can do about emails being sent to spam folders.  Your member will have to make the effort to make sure that the emails are not sent to their spam folder.  Often this is done by telling the mail provider that the email isn't spam; marking the email as not spam.  It does help that you don't have trigger words in your emails but again, once that email leaves your mail server, you no longer have any control over it.

That's sure worth investigating, but I'm also concerned when a person sends a message and a copy to the member's address.  Other issues also raise their ugly head: Even an email sent from the domains webmail ends up in spam. Thus my interest in DNS records which may overcome this issue.

Some of it may also have to do with title and content as well for sites such a google that use forms of heuristic filtering.

So rewording the titles and body of the email templates may also need to be done.

Ever since I've used the Cheetah and the other script, every email sent form my site has ended up in the member's spam folder. I road-tested another script recently and all emails went directly to the member's Mail Inbox.  Oh what a lovely feeling!

I've just spent hours modifying my mail server, and DNS records, but emails still go to spam. I've read about Reverse DNS, but my DNS Host claims they supply this service automatically.

Maybe someone who has succeeded in getting emails to go to a member's inbox on a regular basis can supply samples of their DNS A, CName, TXT records etc. for us to try.

It's very frustrating and hardly professional.

Thanks