Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

Documentation

So any documentation must be basic and from then on, it will be up to the user to ask questions on this site to create discussion and encourage others to develop solutions.

This is a question to all the members on this site: Where do you want to start? Do you wish to develop your own site and are you looking for answers, or do you want someone else to develop your site for you?

Because there are currently a limited number of die-hards supporting Cheetah, my recommendation is to keep the documentation basic and limited to the fundamentals of installation and basic set-up. Having a community forum like this will allow us all to support each other with Q&A as new users join and Cheetah grows. 

I still research the dolphin forum for advise and tips that go back 10+ years and so to be able to preserve that content would be great. I also visited the wiki on dolphin and on cheetah.  Would using the 'WayBackMachine' help us to preserve the content?  https://web.archive.org/  

I saved the dolphin install page https://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/wiki/BriefInstall using this method and it gave me a good result: https://web.archive.org/web/20221014100652/https://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/wiki/BriefInstall

Just so that you will know. I have a wiki setup here that i have started to copy dolphin stuff to. https://wiki.cheetahwsb.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

It's pretty much the same as whats on the dolphin doc site with the names changed. I started doing it because i don't know when that will get shut down.

I was also was trying to devise a way to auto scrape their forums to preserve the content. Not much luck with that one yet.

As most of you probably know, Cheetah is a fork of Dolphin, a social Networking script produced by a crowd called Boonex. They originally took it over from another crowd called AEwebworks who originally developed it under the name of aeDating. 

I haven't been able to find any documentation for aeDating on their web site which can still be accessed via the "Wayback Machine", but there's quite a bit of documentation available for Dolphin on the Boonex (Dolphin) web site. This documentation is accessible via their Wiki and the Boonex forum. The wiki is a bit like a can of worms to the average user, but the forum actually contains thousands of tips which can be a fantastic help for Cheetah users.

As Dolphin won't be supported later in 2023, it's also possible that the Boonex (Dolphin) forum will also become extinct. The amount of information on that forum is actually astonishing and it should be preserved, but that's another story. The forum's indexing system isn't the greatest. In fact it's best to Google your search using the following criteria:

Cron jobs boonex

The word boonex will instruct Google to first show results relating to Boonex (Dolphin) cron jobs. The search results will invariably send you to posts on the Boonex (Dolphin) forum and that's probably what you will want.

The main problem with documentation, or the lack thereof is that Dolphin was used by Russian dating conglomerates that didn't need it.  Boonex also sold some copies to the general public, but the free version was far more popular. It's understandable that a company out to make money wasn't about to invest thousands of dollars to have their staff write an instruction manual for people who weren't prepared to pay.

So when you go to the Wiki, don't be surprised to find it a bit technical. It's essentially written for developers who paid for the program and on-sold sites to third parties who were often involved in the dating industry.

It's not going to be easy to write documentation for Cheetah to assist a start-up user.  Like Dolphin, Cheetah is a massive and powerful script and a few short "how to" videos or a dozen web pages will mean nothing. There are two (almost) similar scripts out there that do have dedicated manuals. Zen Cart's manual is about 400 pages and the "Elgg Book" is about 300. Neither cover every aspect of the script they describe and the user is still expected to do their own research.

Think about it like this: If you were given a huge packing case containing every component to make a car, can you imagine how big the assembly manual would have to be? But what if every person who received a packing case wanted to build their car differently to suit their personal needs? The manual would be thousands of pages thick and it still wouldn't cover everything.

So any documentation must be basic and from then on, it will be up to the user to ask questions on this site to create discussion and encourage others to develop solutions.

This is a question to all the members on this site: Where do you want to start? Do you wish to develop your own site and are you looking for answers, or do you want someone else to develop your site for you?

I can't help you with the development side, but I may be able to prepare some basic documentation. The question is: How soon do you need it?