Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

Data Request.

I can't help I'm afraid.Two of my workig sites only have one or two Dolphin modules and one or two third party. My main site has 10 Boonex modules and 50 third party Modules of which 32 are from Modzzz. It's also heavily modified, but mostly in the templates. Being able to get it to work with Cheetah will be the challenge of my life when the next stable release is available and I have the time. 

You're welcome to a copy if you want it.

If I understand, your updater will download the files to the server; then you have a click to install interface in the backend.  I am guessing I could still do my code edits prior to updating?

Yes, that's correct. You can. The files will be sitting in a folder so they can be modified before they are installed. I did the same thing on my dolphin site before updating.

Eventually as i enhance the updater, it will even point out which files on your site that have been altered via crc checking. That will be in a later version of the updater. I intend on keeping it simple for the first release.

I am also working on another new feature which is a automatic update downloader with a click to install interface. I will most likely never offer fully automatic installing. I don't like the idea of a site updating itself while i am asleep. But install on demand with a click is almost as easy.

I hate automatic updates; I have seen people on UNA complaining about the auto updates.  They go to bed with a working site, the auto updater updates the site during the night, and then they wake up with a broken site in the morning with members emailing and complaining.  Your solution might be the better answer.

The only issue I have is that I often have custom code.  In the past the way I handled custom code was to edit the updated files and inserted my custom code into the updates.  Then when I ran the updater, I didn't have to go back in and add them in; that gave me the shortest downtime for my site.  If I understand, your updater will download the files to the server; then you have a click to install interface in the backend.  I am guessing I could still do my code edits prior to updating?

The data is not necessary and i will create the importer without it if need be, however the test data will allow me to insure the importer is more reliable with the first release with fewer bugs.

My current site is outdated; I did do an update to 7.3.5 on the test site.  While I don't have all the Dolphin modules, I do have the most used, blogs, photos, videos, files, sounds, forum, and groups with plenty of content.  I could clone the site; drop all the third party modules from the clone, then upgrade it to 7.4.2 and provide that.

I have a request for anyone who is willing to provide the data.

I will be developing a Dolphin to Cheetah data importer. What i need is a copy of a Dolphin website including database of a site that uses most of Dolphins built in modules.

I will never place this copy online. The purpose of the data is to test the importer to make sure it properly imports everything from Dolphin into Cheetah. I don't have a site myself that uses even half the modules.

The data is not necessary and i will create the importer without it if need be, however the test data will allow me to insure the importer is more reliable with the first release with fewer bugs.

I am also working on another new feature which is a automatic update downloader with a click to install interface. I will most likely never offer fully automatic installing. I don't like the idea of a site updating itself while i am asleep. But install on demand with a click is almost as easy.

One of the things many people hated about dolphin was the tedious update process which required manually downloading and uploading files and then the manual recompiling of languages and clearing of caches. This new update system will make that process far easier.

So i believe these two new features will be a big help in increasing Cheetahs appeal over Dolphin.