Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

Cheetah App

From what I fouind - the webview is used in facebook messenger and links for the timeline and other webview items are from the facebook built in browser - not the whole app itself. i wont be using an in app browser. i have created a facebook clone already using no webviews. but again - it is a learniing experience and keeps certain clientelle happy that I am at least looking into it. I have tried on many occasions to convince not to use an app - but some people are particular. and if i dont do it - they will pay someone else to.

Take facebook for example. You can view facebook in your browser and it is not much different than the app - but the app is just so much easier to use.

I am finding tons of information all over the web that indicates that the facebooks app does indeed use webviews. This is just one of dozens of links i have found. https://blog.tomayac.com/2019/12/09/inspecting-facebooks-webview/

Then there is this link https://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2018/08/mobile-apps-native-hybrid-and-webviews.php which is indicating that Facebook, Evernote, Instagram, LinkedIn, Uber, Slack, Twitter, Gmail, the Amazon Appstore all use webviews.

However you choose to do it, best of luck. I hope you succeed.

Take facebook for example. You can view facebook in your browser and it is not much different than the app - but the app is just so much easier to use.

I am finding tons of information all over the web that indicates that the facebooks app does indeed use webviews. This is just one of dozens of links i have found. https://blog.tomayac.com/2019/12/09/inspecting-facebooks-webview/

Then there is this link https://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2018/08/mobile-apps-native-hybrid-and-webviews.php which is indicating that Facebook, Evernote, Instagram, LinkedIn, Uber, Slack, Twitter, Gmail, the Amazon Appstore all use webviews.

However you choose to do it, best of luck. I hope you succeed.

the logic you stated about it basically recreating a cheetah site is sooooo true. that is one of the reasons it took me so long to actually start working on something. As it is - the only thing the app will be connecting to is the database and the module would be used for database queries. And since I am against webviews - it means that I have to basically recreate the site in a mobile format. Sounds redundant - but hey - lets see what i manage to learn and come up with.

on the other hand - a lot of people are more comfortable with apps. Take facebook for example. You can view facebook in your browser and it is not much different than the app - but the app is just so much easier to use. 

I wish you luck with this project, but surely it's almost like redesigning Cheetah from the ground up? One thing that interests me about an App is the way it handles things like photos . 

I've often thought about having two versions of Cheetah operating the same database, but I'm sure that's loaded with problems. Things like photos would be split across the two versions and even if it worked, it doesn't sound like a good idea.

As Cheetah reads a page from left to right  by columns (left column first , then center, then right in the case of a three column site), maybe a template will do the job. I recall Oxwall had an option to select a mobile phone template, but I never did try to find out what it did. I assume it placed everything in one column.

I run my site with the main column on the left, so when a person using a phone connects to the site, they see the main stuff first. (photo 1)

On the phone it looks like Photo 2, but changing a template could change this to make it even better. Even so, it's still acceptable in my opinion.

If you use Anton's Photo Friendly menu, a menu I've asked Deano to consider, It looks great on a mobile. Photo 3 

Just click an option and you're almost there. Photo 4.

It looks like you may be using that menu, or the original that Anton based his menu on. It actually has a flaw when using it on a PC, but the idea is excellent.

I firmly believe all this can be done through templates, thus eliminating the need for an App. All a member needs to do is choose the Mobile Friendly template. To start the ball rolling, a three column site must be avoided and the left column of a two column site must be the main one.

Sorry about the "My Bookmarks" tab covering some stuff.

Good luck.

I wish you luck with this project, but surely it's almost like redesigning Cheetah from the ground up? One thing that interests me about an App is the way it handles things like photos . 

I've often thought about having two versions of Cheetah operating the same database, but I'm sure that's loaded with problems. Things like photos would be split across the two versions and even if it worked, it doesn't sound like a good idea.

As Cheetah reads a page from left to right  by columns (left column first , then center, then right in the case of a three column site), maybe a template will do the job. I recall Oxwall had an option to select a mobile phone template, but I never did try to find out what it did. I assume it placed everything in one column.

I run my site with the main column on the left, so when a person using a phone connects to the site, they see the main stuff first. (photo 1)

On the phone it looks like Photo 2, but changing a template could change this to make it even better. Even so, it's still acceptable in my opinion.

If you use Anton's Photo Friendly menu, a menu I've asked Deano to consider, It looks great on a mobile. Photo 3 

Just click an option and you're almost there. Photo 4.

It looks like you may be using that menu, or the original that Anton based his menu on. It actually has a flaw when using it on a PC, but the idea is excellent.

I firmly believe all this can be done through templates, thus eliminating the need for an App. All a member needs to do is choose the Mobile Friendly template. To start the ball rolling, a three column site must be avoided and the left column of a two column site must be the main one.

Sorry about the "My Bookmarks" tab covering some stuff.

Good luck.

photo1.jpg72.7K3 views
Photo2.jpg36K3 views
photo3.jpg26.5K4 views
Photo4.jpg29.1K4 views

no - i will include a module for the app settings and stuff.

OK, so will this work off of the mobile page builder in the Cheetah admin section?

Actually, that mobile builder has been removed from the menu in Cheetah. However the builder is still there, you can go directly to yoursite.whatever/administration/mobileBuilder.php

I have no mobile apps, so i saw no point in keeping it in the menu.

OK, so will this work off of the mobile page builder in the Cheetah admin section?

So - i hope everyones holiday season was eventfully in a good way - mine kinda was. Now that ll the fun is over - I have decided to get back to making an app for Cheetah site. I know Deano mentioned he had another approach and this is meant in no way to step on his toes. It is just that I am running into more and more people who want apps these days. And with that - I need to learn how to make apps. So - why not make one based on a platform that I am familiar with - and is showing renewed energy, AND has someone behind it who actually wants to see it progress and has dedicated a lot to it.

With that being said - my app creating skills are at a zero. I did spend a couple of months teaching myself a lot and hope i can get a good grasp on it. I essentially have to learn a new language. Here are three of my main goals:

1. The idea is to stay away from webview as much as possible. Webview is basically just showing a webpage in an app container - thats not what I want. Dolphin used it. The drawback is - I now have to create a way to edit page blocks on the app - from within the website or the app or both.

2. Content is truly based on what you want displayed. Dolphin didnt allow for custom modules or pages to be shown in the app. Hopefully, I can set this app for more customization than what Dolphin app did. One item - as an example - is the Menu. Dolphin had colored blocks and it was only for certain things. My app menu is based on what you actually have selected in your site menu.

3. The ability to customize the app look. It wont be templates - but there will be a section - in admin - where the colors, borders, and sizes of many elements can be changed.

I am not saying that this will be a commercial project - but it does have the possibility. Right now - my emphasis is on learning. As such - I have no earthly idea how long it will take me to complete. I started a week ago and feel like I have gotten nowhere. I am still  just on the UI. But we will see how this goes.

Heres a few images

apphome.PNG64.2K7 views
appdrawer.PNG152.5K7 views
appsearch.PNG11.7K5 views
appblockmenu.PNG54.5K7 views