Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

Checking for VPN

In fact the built in function in Cheetah getVisitorIP will return the real ip address if one is found.

For example, you could place a php block somewhere on your site with this.

echo getVisitorIP();

And it will show your ip address in that block.

Now if you were to go the page that block is on using a proxy, then you should see the proxy ip if the proxy is fully anonymous or you will see your real ip address if it is not a fully anonymous proxy.

I will be interested in this because the whole idea of me using a proxy is to prevent my real IP address from being known.

Only the proxy IP can be obtained with fully anonymous proxies or a VPN. So i can only obtain the real ip address from proxies that are not fully anonymous and provide the real ip address in a alternate http header.

However many proxy ip addresses and vpn addresses are known and may appear in databases that can identify them as a proxy or vpn address. Tor exit node addresses can also be looked up.

For now i will only provide the IP address or both if both addresses are available. Database lookup features to determine if the ip is a known proxy, vpn, or tor exit node may be a service feature i add later.

Yes, i can work on that. May be able to do more as well such as determine if a proxy is being used such as a tor or others and show the proxy ip as well as the real ip.

I will be interested in this because the whole idea of me using a proxy is to prevent my real IP address from being known.

Great. I'll put it in the suggestions section.

Yes, i can work on that. May be able to do more as well such as determine if a proxy is being used such as a tor or others and show the proxy ip as well as the real ip.

My site is strictly for Australian people only. I tried doing a block in .htaccess, but an overseas friend tested it for me and he could sign up. Although it's a low concern problem, I wonder about people using VPN's and making out they live in the country. I understand you can check for VPN's by doing an IP address search and this may be the best way out for me. Too bad if a person in Sydney tries to sign up using  a VPN address in Melbourne. (Both in Australia). 

I know we can find a member's IP address in Cheetah, but can it be made a hidden (admin access only) field in the person's profile? That way we could have the IP address in front of us when approving the account.