Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

Bloat

It actually contains tables for garbage that was used before Boonex purchased Dolphin many years ago.

I think Boonex cleaned up things quite a lot between when they purchased AEDating and when they released Dolphin 7.4.2.  As Deano mentioned, I don't think there is junk left over from AEDating in the database.

It is also easy enough to remove things from the database using some simple queries.   For example, if your site is just for Australia and you don't need member choosing a country then you remove country from the join form and then remove the entries for countries from the database and remove the predefined values for the countries.

I run a localised site in Australia. Others run localised sites in other countries and what we don't need is a database containing every country in the world.

Understood. However consider this.

As i reside in the US, thus develop Cheetah in the US i would include only the US as a country. Only USD as a currency, ect.

Now what is everyone else that wants to use Cheetah to do? They would have to be forced to manually download a separate localization script for their area or manually enter that information.

Would it really be fair for me to do that to everyone that does not reside in the US?

I have been working with the Database for quite some time and have not seen anything in the database that does not really need to be there. Yes, there are a few areas such as the country list that could be cut down. But the amount of space it would save would not really be that much. The country list is probably the longest list and it's only 14k

Maybe i am not seeing it. If you could point out the garbage that existed before Boonex purchased dolphin it would be a help.

There was a bit of discussion on the Boonex forum about the bloated database. It actually contains tables for garbage that was used before Boonex purchased Dolphin many years ago.

I run a localised site in Australia. Others run localised sites in other countries and what we don't need is a database containing every country in the world. All we need is one country! Modzzz asks you to load a "States" module for some of his modules and that file contains the states for every country in the world. Admins running localised sites in England, New Zealand and many other countries don't have states and in Australia we only have a handful. The file is "Bloatware".

I'd be interested to know how much leaner Cheetah would be if all the SQL bloat was removed. I think it's too much for Deano to do on his own, but maybe a few Dolphin/Cheetah Nerds can let us know what junk can safely be removed.