Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

App for the youngsters

if boonex have given you the go ahead to continue under a different name

And boonex did not actually officially give me the go ahead. Dolphins license allows me to as long as i follow the license rules.

doesnt the license include rebranding and editing the mobile app? thats the way i understand it.

Yes, and that may apply to you, but i don't believe that includes allowing me to distribute the apps.

(EDIT) Needs to be reworded.
No. The actual dolphin CC-BY license does not state that. That is a statement made by boonex and applys to your right to rebrand if you purchased a dolphin license.
I myself have to follow the CC-BY license rules and i cannot distribute anything that requires the purchase of a dolphin license to use.

So as i said. You can try it. I know the app requires a license, and i don't know how the app ties into the license and even if it will work on Cheetah or not. When it comes to the apps, i simply don't know.

And boonex did not actually officially give me the go ahead. Dolphins license allows me to as long as i follow the license rules.

doesnt the license include rebranding and editing the mobile app? thats the way i understand it.

Yes, we must always remember that a licensed version Dolphin contains propriety code that may not be in the free (open source) version. Moxie manager and the App are two that come to mind.

I think we should also remember that mobile phones are NOT computers and visa versa. By trying to get a web site to work on a phone, web users are compromised. Ditto if you try to get a phone app like KiK to work on a computer. It's horses for courses.

Maybe the best think to do for the twiddle box crowd is to concentrate on an app. I think that many young people think of a computer as a school book and a twiddle box as something you use to navigate across a busy road against a red traffic light.

Whether you can find apps that are as adaptable as Cheetah is something I don't know. Like Deano, I haven't had any experience with them.

You can do that if you want. What i am actually trying to point out is that a PWA, can install and function just like an app.

I have the apps source, just need to get the software to work with them. Playing with the apps is on hold until i finish the major changes to cheetah i am working on to deal with the upcoming loss of flash support in browsers.

Anyhow. I don't think it will be a big deal for you to personally use the app code. I just don't believe i can. A dolphin license is required to use the app indicating it is not licensed to be freely used and distributed by anyone. I am not going to take the risk with that. The licensing is not clear.

lets take facebook for example. even though there is a fully functioning website - how many people actually use the web site vs using the app? these kids these days are all about apps - not websites. which is one of the reasons it took so long for my son to actually sit down and look at developing a website. he has been focused on creating an app. 

also, if boonex have given you the go ahead to continue under a different name - wouldnt that include the mobile aspect as well? in the page builders, the mobile pages are still there in cheetah. 

i have no problem focusing on a moile app with my son - i am going to be doing that anyways cause thats what they want. even if it means we have to create an app from scratch.

I do not know if those apps will work. And because those are not technically open source and belong to boonex i don't know if anyone can legally use them.

Anyhow, i do not have the software or knowledge in app development to do it, so a third party would have to be hired for developing apps.

The technology i intend to implement is called Progressive Web Apps (PWA) and can replace a native app. It will even be able to be made available in the play store for android, the Microsoft store, and with proper software, the apple store. Putting them in the store is also optional because PWAs can be installed with a button on the website itself.

Perhaps if you explain to me why you believe a native app will be required it might help me understand. As i don't see anything a Native app can do that a PWA won't be able to do, and possibly do better.

i know you said before that when you are done, there would be no need for an app - but - an app is becoming the most common way for youngsters to get what they need these days. and as such, it is a requirement in my current project.

so, will the old android and apple apps from dolphin work with cheetah? and since i have three dolphin licenses, i should have the rights to rebrand the apps. is this even possible?