Forums  ›  General  ›  General discussions

Any Virtualbox Users?

The server is setup headless. What about the guest os running in the vm. Is that also headless?

Reason i ask, is i read that virtualbox sometimes has problems when a guest os requests to sleep. Perhaps checking power management settings in the guest os to make sure it is always on and never attempts to sleep.

Just guessing right now, as i really have no clue, so i could be way off.

Also perhaps the amount of memory assigned to the guest os. Could available resources be a issue.

Thanks.  I didn't see anything in the settings for power management.  I may need to do that at the command line.

The server is setup headless. What about the guest os running in the vm. Is that also headless?

Reason i ask, is i read that virtualbox sometimes has problems when a guest os requests to sleep. Perhaps checking power management settings in the guest os to make sure it is always on and never attempts to sleep.

Just guessing right now, as i really have no clue, so i could be way off.

Also perhaps the amount of memory assigned to the guest os. Could available resources be a issue.

It appears I was wrong.  Just went to the vm and the remote window was shut.  Refreshing shows that the vm is in an aborted state.  I have no idea why it is doing this; I will look and see if anything was logged but I doubt it.  This is not suitable for a production environment.

I made some changes in the vm configuration, making sure nothing was turned on that isn't needed since this is a headless server, and it hasn't crashed since.  I will keep my fingers crossed.

Sorry. Cant help there. I use Virtualbox once in awhile, but only on a windows machine. I use it to test and try out various Linux distros. Never run into any of those issues your having.

I installed virtualbox on a CentOS 8 server so I could add a VM with Debian or Ubuntu OS.  I am having issues with coming in the next day and the VM appears to have aborted.

I am using RemoteBox to manage the VMs.  I am seeing this message from RemoteBox:

Validation constraint violation: SOAP message expected

along with:

VirtualBox has returned an invalid object reference error. If you continue, the connection may be in an unknown state. Disconnecting will try to recover but will require you to reconnect.

Additional:

VirtualBox error: Invalid managed object reference ""

The window with the OS was left open but I find it shut; I guess RemoteBox closed it.

I started with a vm with Ubuntu but had the issue above so removed that vm, created a new one and this time installed Debian.  If I reconnect to virtualbox with RemoteBox I see that the vm is in an aborted state.  I can restart the vm but this isn't going to provide a stable environment for running jitsi.  I need to know what is happening here.